Wednesday 10 April 2013

Ollies birth story!

My precious boy was born a week ago already - a whole week - really? My goodness, time goes so fast!
It all started about 11pm on the 1 April... I started having some weird pains and thought "huh, I wonder if this is labor".... Said to Mike this may just be it and then after an hour of nothing much else we fell asleep. 1am on the 2 April I woke up and though "yoh - this is labor". I went to loo a million times and then eventually at 2:30am I started pacing the passage trying to feel a pattern of the contractions... I didn't wake mike up and i still wasn't 100% sure i was in labor but but 3am i woke him up and said "its go time" - we looked up symptoms of labor for the 100th time just to make sure and then called the hospital and was told to kind of just wait it out and see how i feel and when the pain gets too much we can come in.... i was told to get in a hot shower and that should do it! I did just that and it did feel amazing BUT the contractions carried on as normal - while i was in there i thought id better shave my legs and underarms, mike thought this was hilarious and brought me our laundry basket to sit on while shaving as I couldn't stand and shave like I normally do!!
I got out the shower, probably waited another 20minutes and said "ok babes, we need to go" - I got my bags, mike packed a bag, called my mom and dad and off we went!
 Teddy was ready to meet his new owner....
 Mikes bag all packed - NOTE to dads to be - take a jersey!!! Mike forgot his and was so cold the whole time!!
 All excited to meet my precious baby!!
When we got to the hospital they hooked my up to a monitor that monitored babys heart beat and also my contractions - I was told yes I am in in fact in labor and so the morning and excitement started!!
The contractions were SORE and as soon as i got there I asked when i could have my epidural :) I am a wuss! It was so lovely to hear Ollies heartbeat!
 The WORST part on the whole beginning stage was the drip in my arm - as i said i am a wuss and dont like needles too much! BUT Wendy, our nurse, was amazing!!
When i saw the pics afterwards this make me laugh!!!
 I didnt want to see the needle :)
 Then came the epidural which was a breeze - our anesthetist was amazing!
The drugs kicked in and we were too excited!!!! I was amazing how i wasn't nervous at all..... 

 My blood pressure was a little low to begin with but it stabilized eventually and also baby's heartbeat was a little fast - mike prayed for me and Ollie and soon they both sorted themselves out! We were well on our way to a natural birth which was our plan all along and we both got SUPER excited when they wheeled in the baby bed.....

 This was monitoring baby's heart beat (the smaller squiggles at the top) and the bottom was my contractions.
 Mike too excited (and a little exhausted)
Within 4 hours i was 10cm dilated - baby head was still a little too high so we had to just wait it out - we waited 3 hours and then I started pushing.We tried and tried but baby head wouldn't decent and then we discovered that baby's head was facing the wrong way.... after what felt like forever baby's heart rate went up again and became distressed and Dr turned to the nurse and said "put her on oxygen - the baby needs oxygen" - this is when i got a fright! I was put on oxygen and told that i had to be rushed in for an emergency c-section.... a very scary moment for me and i will say the tears came and didn't stop until baby was born!!! When i started pushing the turned off the epidural so i could feel labor enough to push so by the time we realized i had to be rush in for a c-section i was feeling every single contraction full on - sore and hectic BUT its amazing how your body just copes hey!
Anyway, an hour later I was in theater squeezing the heck out of mikes arm and within about 20 minutes baby Oliver was born!!!!!! I heard mike burst into tears and say "its a boy" and then i heard Oliver cry and i was ok! It was all worth it just in that moment alone!!! I kept saying "i cant see him, i cant see him" and then they held him up and i got to see Oliver for the first time!! My precious boy came out with his mouth open wanting food - moms child for sure!!

 They cleaned him up and did everything they had to while i watched!! Mike says here he looks like a gorilla child - too funny!!!

 As you can see I was balling my eyes out, it was all a little overwhelming for me especially being rushed to theater BUT when i saw this boy i lost my breath!!!!
 Our first family photo!!!!!
 Mike got to go to the nursery with Oliver and weight him, bath him etc while they sticked me up in theater and made sure i was ok!
 They popped him in here to warm him up a little - he warmed up pretty quick which is a good thing!!! Look at that proud dad hey!!!!!
 They bathed him and got him ready for me to see him!



 My two best boys!!!
 From 3pm - 4:30pm it was granny and grandpa time so our parents came to give Oliver a cuddle!!!

 A proud grandpa!!
Was nice seeing my folks and having them meet their grandson!!!!

 And this was Ollies home for the next 3 days - this and in my arms!!
My goodness - it was one of the more amazing, tiring, scary, humbling days of my life!!!
And this is how little Oliver Michael Brits came to be :)
I could not imagine my life without him!!!!

(my goodness, this took me 2 days to write and post - having a little munchkin really does take up your time - not that I mind too much)


1 comment:

  1. Horay!
    So adventurse! I feel yah on needles and pain and owwww!
    Is a Jersey the same as a sweatshirt or is it more of a jacket?
    Also, is a theater different from an operating room? If a theater is a place you go for surgical procedures, where do you go to see a movie? (I told you I learn a lot!)

    ReplyDelete