Wednesday 25 May 2011

Our home group...

At home group we are doing a DVD series called “Real Jesus”, done by Mark Driscoll, and it’s been amazing! If you can get your hands on it please check it out!
Just something to renew what I believe and to solidify some thoughts and feelings I have been having about my faith and belief in God. Its easy listening, funny at times, thought provoking and an amazing way to spend an evening with a group of fellow believers and those searching for God.

There is a couple that have joined us for the series, an older couple and it’s been nice getting to know them a little each week…. Being in a group like ours its sometimes harder to get a big old conversation in with a new person cause there is always something going on and its gets loud and boisterous – love it!
Last night after the DVD about who God says he is in the bible we just chatted about who we each believe God to be to us– where we are and what experiences have lead us to believe what we believe who God is.

For me, I grew up knowing God, being introduced to Him each week at church and then making a decision to accept him… some didn’t accept God until they were in their late 20’s and some others are still searching – is a diverse group each with our own story!

This new couple has been a few times and only saying a peep here and there…. Last night we were asked where we are in our journey with God… it was a pretty open discussion and this couple shared a bit of their hearts with us. They know God, they love him but two years ago their son was killed in a car accident – leaving behind an ex wife and 7 year old daughter – the pain in their face when they shared…. Their raw emotion and sadness washed over me and my heart just broke! He is now in a place where he feels he knew God loved him and then his son was taken and he can’t get past it – he can’t stop being mad at God and wondering why…

I have NO idea what they are going through – none at all BUT I can sympathize and totally understand where he is coming from!

It got me thinking how I would react to the God I have loved my whole life if my husband was taken from me – or my mom or dad or brother! How would I react – would I love God in that time, glorify him and pray to him to give me peace or would I be spitting mad and hurt and not able to relate to a God that could have let that happen!

Scary scary stuff – I just cried hearing the hurt and brokenness this has caused them – their whole lives are forever changed – nothing will ever be the same!! I chatted to her a bit afterwards and she explained what had happened and how she had to go to the morgue to identify her sons body – she says that memory is so vivid and she gets flash backs about it often – 2 years later and the pain and hurt is still as real as the day he died.

Got me thinking not only about how I would feel if I was in the same position but also about the fragile state of our earthy bodies…. We can be here one second and literally gone the next. I love my husband and tell him EVERY SINGLE day about 20 times…. But sometimes I don’t show it as much as I could – I mope when my gorgeous puppies wake us up at 6am on a weekend morning cause they want us to open the door for them so they can cuddle us…. I LOVE those times… but sometimes I moan about them!

WHY – because we become so selfish that our little state is all that consumes us… There is so much more to life than me!

It’s so horrible to hear of someone loosing a child BUT hearing has also given me a fresh “understanding” of life and how to enjoy it because you never know what’s going to happen!

Mike and I seem to be slogging through a lot at the moment – stress has taken hold of us in one way or another and we’re having a bit of a hard time… at the end of the day hearing about this precious couple struggling with loosing a child our little problems don’t seem like problems at all – sometimes a little perspective is all we need.

Man I didn’t think would lead to a deep discussion, just wanted to share where our home group is at at the moment!

Some food for thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment